We all have one beloved hairdresser that we go back to for colouring, cuts, and sometimes styles. However, there are times where we find that there is a stylist out there that can help you achieve the exact look you’re after.
Being open and honest with your hairdresser is important for every visit – ask questions about styles, treatments, and of course, what works best for your hair.
When it comes to styling your hair for a special occasion or a big event, it’s important to check that the style you want matches your intended style.
1. Your hair should complement the outfit
Don’t let your hair work against you, work with it for the ideal style that you’re wanting to achieve. Hairdressers may focus on the prime idea of doing your hair, where others are making sure you’ve got a theme/style for the event. Talking openly about the cut of the dress, your makeup, even the smallest of details can help your hairdresser pick what’s going to be best for you.
2. Preparing your hair beforehand
The preparation stage is crucial in providing that your hair isn’t holding down any heavy products. Your hairdresser should work with you to decide on what products are going to be best suited for your hair type. This ensures on the day of styling your hair, that it’s prepared, feeling soft, and ready to undergo styling.
3. Work with your hair and not against
When it comes to styling, not all hair types can handle certain styles. So choosing a style that your hair can handle helps your hairdresser, and it means that the style can hold for longer.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing the right style:
- Head shape
- Styling tools
Browse through Pinterest to see the wide variety of styles that you can choose from – and think about whether this is going to suit your overall look, or if you require further recommendations. Creating a Pinterest board and adding in styles that you like and don’t like can help assist your hairdresser on finding the right style for you.
4. Maybe your hairdresser isn’t the right one for you
Not all hairdressers have the skills or the capability of achieving your desired look. There is no harm in researching other hairdresser’s Facebook, Instagram, and their website to help you decide on a hairdresser. Adelaide hairdressers and hairstylists are extremely active on social media, and by reviewing some of their previous styles and see what work they’ve done, this will help give you a better indication on what they can create for you.
When reviewing their social media accounts, think about the following:
- Do they have hairstyles that interest you?
- Are they using real people or models?
- What sort of styles have they done that seems to be the most popular in their feed?
- How active are they on social media and how recent are their posts and hair photography?
If you’ve been referred by a friend, consider asking these questions:
- How did you find their service? Was it a positive or negative experience?
- Did your hair last for the duration of the event/occasion?
- On the day of styling, do you feel as though you were rushed through the process?
- Do you feel as though you paid for what was created? Did you feel there was value in the hairstylist and hairstyle?
- Is the hairdresser/stylist you would refer to other people?
- Would you go back to them, if not, why?